The annual Internet Governance Forum (IGF) this year takes place in Joao Pessoa, Brazil from October 10-13. We are excited to participate at the forum which is themed “Evolution of Internet Governance: Empowering Sustainable Development”, during which we will share our insights on internet governance and related issues in East Africa.
An initiative of the United Nations, the IGF is a multi-stakeholder dialogue forum open to representatives from Government, NGOs, academia, private sector, as well as any other entities and individuals interested in Internet Governance issues. This year’s forum will explore the main theme through eight sub-themes including: Cyber security and trust; The internet economy; Inclusiveness and diversity; Openness; Enhancing multi-stakeholder cooperation; The internet and human rights; critical internet resources; and emerging issues.
Through our membership of the Association for Progressive Communications (APC) and partnerships with Paradigm Initiative Nigeria (PIN), Facebook Africa Policy and the Deutsche Welle (DW) Akademie, among others, CIPESA is directly participating in the forum in the following events:
November 8 – 9, 2015
- Deutsche Welle Preparatory Workshop
- Local Actions to Secure Internet Rights (LASIR) Learning Meeting
November 10, 2015
- Workshop 187 on Promoting Local Actions to Secure Internet Rights
November 11, 2015
- Civil Society Round Table with the United States Department of State Cyber Coordinator Chris Painter
- Round Table – #AfricanInternetRights: Whose rights are these anyway?
November 12, 2015
- State of the Internet in Africa
- APC 25th Anniversary Celebrations @APC